1914 – South Lanarkshire, Scotland. Lat/Long 55.777500 -4.038333
Following the precedent of Aberdeen Central Library (1892), Hamilton was designed with scope for extension and to be part of a much larger civic complex. Over 98 Carnegie libraries in the UK were designed to form part of a larger civic unit connected to Town Halls and Municipal buildings but also to Public Baths, Police Stations and Technical Colleges.
Architects: Alex Cullen, Lochhead & Brown of Glasgow.
Heritage designation: Cat B,1977. Purpose built library; Carnegie grant: £15,000 09/07/1901. Open library, council managed.